The Commonwealth Eye Health Consortium has published the following papers. We expect 50 further publications by the end of 2020.
Development and Validation of a Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Modality Using a Hand-Held Nonmydriatic Digital Retinal Camera by Physician Graders at a Tertiary-Level Medical Clinic: Protocol for a Validation Study
Piyasena MMPN, Gudlavalleti VSM, Gilbert C, Yip JL, et al.
JMIR Res Protoc 2018;7(12): e10900
Systematic Review on Barriers and Facilitators for Access to Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Services in Different Income Settings
Piyasena MMPN, Murthy GVS, Yip JYL, Gilbert C, et al.
PLoS ONE. 2019;14(4): e0198979.
A Qualitative Study on Barriers and Enablers to Uptake of Diabetic Retinopathy Screening by People with Diabetes in the Western Province of Sri Lanka
Piyasena MMPN, Murthy GVS, Yip JYL, Gilbert C, et al
Trop Med Health 2019 May 47:34
Systematic review and meta-analysis of diagnostic accuracy of detection of any level of diabetic retinopathy using digital retinal imaging
Piyasena MMPN, Murthy GVS, Yip JYL, Gilbert C, Peto T, Gordon I, Hewage S, Kamalakannan S. Syst Rev. 2018 Nov 7;7(1):182.
Diagnostic Test Accuracy of Diabetic Retinopathy Screening by Physician Graders Using a Hand Held Non-Mydriatic Retinal Camera at a Tertiary Level Medical Clinic
Piyasena MMPN, Yip JYL, MacLeod D, Kim M, Murthy GVS.
Process of adaptation, development and assessment of acceptability of a health educational intervention to improve referral uptake by people with diabetes in Sri Lanka
Piyasena MMPN, Zuurmond M, Yip JYL, Murthy GVS.
Submitted to BMC-Public Health. 2019; 19: 614
A situation analysis of diabetic eye care service delivery in health care institutions of the Western Province of Sri Lanka
Piyasena PN, Murthy GVS.
Ceylon Med J. 2017 Sep 30;62(3):205-206
Published as part of the author’s MSc studies during the PhD registration period
Bilateral Candida keratitis in an HIV patient with asymptomatic genitourinary candidiasis in Uganda
Simon Arunga, Teddy Kwaga, Astrid Leck, Victor H. Hu, Matthew J. Burton
Med Mycol Case Rep. 2018 Dec; 22: 14–17.
Published online 2018 Jul 17. doi: 10.1016/j.mmcr.2018.07.007
Emergency management: microbial keratitis
Simon Arunga and Matthew Burton
Community Eye Health. 2018; 31(103): 66–67.
How to make fluorescein strips
Gilbert Arinda and Simon Arunga
Community Eye Health. 2018; 31(103): 67.
Delay Along the Care Seeking Journey of Patients with Microbial Keratitis in Uganda
Simon Arunga, Guyguy M. Kintoki, Stephen Gichuhi, John Onyango, Rob Newton, Astrid Leck, David Macleod, Victor H. Hu & Matthew J. Burton
Published online 15 May 2019 Ophthalmic Epidemiology
Traditional eye medicine use in microbial keratitis in Uganda: a mixed methods study
Arunga S, Asiimwe A, Apio Olet E et al.
Wellcome Open Res 2019, 4:89
Predictors of uptake of eye examination in people living with diabetes mellitus in three counties of Kenya
Nyawira Mwangi, David Macleod, Stephen Gichuhi, L Muthami, Consuela Moorman, Cova Bascaran, Allen Foster
Tropical Medicine and Health 2017 45:41
Clinical guidelines for diabetic retinopathy in Kenya: an executive summary of the recommendations
Nyawira Mwangi, Muchai Gachago, Michael Gichangi, Stephen Gichuhi et al
Ophthalmol East Cent & S Afr. 2017
Adapting Clinical Practice Guidelines for Diabetic Retinopathy in Kenya: process and outputs
Nyawira Mwangi, Muchai Gachago, Michael Gichangi, Stephen Gichuhi et al
Implementation Science 2018 13:81
Guidelines for Screening and Management of Diabetic Retinopathy
National guidelines for Kenya produced in 2017 as part of research project
Smartphone-based screening for visual impairment in Kenyan school children: a cluster randomised controlled trial
Hillary K Rono, Andrew Bastawrous, David Macleod, Emmanuel Wanjala et al
The Lancet Global Health 6(8):e924-e932 · August 2018
Strengths, challenges and opportunities of implementing primary eye care in Nigeria
Aghaji AE, Gilbert C, Ihebuzor N, et al
BMJ Global Health 2018;3:e000846.
Dual sensory impairment in special schools in South-Eastern Nigeria.
Aghaji A E, Bowman R, Ofoegbu V C, Smith A.
Arch Dis Child doi:10.1136/archdischild-2016-311285
Inequitable coverage of vitamin A supplementation in Nigeria and implications for childhood blindness
Aghaji A E, Duke R E, Aghaji U C W
BMC Public Health 2019 19:282
Red reflex examination in reproductive and child health clinics for early detection of paediatric cataract and ocular media disorders: evidence from Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
Furahini G. Mndeme, Evarista Mgaya, Louise Allen, Richard Bowman
JAAPOS August 2018 Volume 22, Issue 4, Page e4
Effect of visual support strategies on the quality of life of children with cerebral palsy and cerebral visual impairment / perceptual visual dysfunction in Nigeria: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.
Duke R, Eyong K, Burton K, MacLeod D, Dutton GN, Gilbert C, Bowman R.
Trials. 2019 Jul 10;20(1):417. doi: 10.1186/s13063-019-3527-9.
Open Education for Eye Health:
- Open education in eye health: transforming access to learning
Comm Eye Health Vol. 30 No. 100 2018 pp 96-99.
- The benefits of taking ICEH Open Courses
IAPB Blog, November 8th 2017
- What do you need to know to set up CPD as a professional body?
Comm Eye Health Vol. 30 No. 97 2017 pp 11-13.
- Accessing good health information and resources
Comm Eye Health Vol. 30 No. 97 2017 pp 15-17.
- Open educational resources
Comm Eye Health Vol. 28 No. 90 2015 pp 34
Posters and presentations
- Assessing the impact of a global health MOOC OER
OE Global, Delft, 2018
- Open borders for eye health education
4th Human Resources for Health conference, Dublin, 2017
- Assessing the impact of the Global Blindness MOOC
LSHTM Education Day, 18th September 2017
- MOOCs in eye care: Do they work?
10GA conference, Cape Town, 2016
- Can we use Open Education to bridge the gaps in global eye care training?
10GA conference, Cape Town, 2016
- Using open education to strengthen global eye care: Strategic action and international collaboration
OER16 conference, Edinburgh, 2016
- Can OER help bridge the public health training gap in global eye care?
The 26th ICDE World Conference, Sun City, 2015
- A smartphone based ophthalmoscope
Giardini ME, Livingstone IA, Jordan S, Bolster NM, Peto T, Burton M, Bastawrous A. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2014 Aug;2014:2177-80
- How the smartphone is driving the eye-health imaging revolution
Bolster NM, Giardini ME, Livingstone IA, Bastawrous A. Expert Review of Ophthalmology. 2014 Dec 1;9(6):475-85.
- Evaluation of a Novel Digital Infant Acuity Test
Butler LA, Misanjo E, Middleton D, Livingstone I, Kayange P. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015 Jun 11;56(7):3196–3196
- Development and Validation of a Smartphone-Based Visual Acuity Test (Peek Acuity) for Clinical Practice and Community-Based Fieldwork
Bastawrous A; Rono HK; Livingstone IA; Weiss HA; Jordan S; Kuper H; Burton MJ.
JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015 Aug; 133(8):930-7. doi: 10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2015.1468. http://archopht.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2296911
- Towards a workflow driven design for mHealth devices within temporary eye clinics in low-income settings.
Bolster NM, Bastawrous A, Giardini ME.
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2015 Aug; 2015:7312-5. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2015.7320080.
- Clinical Validation of a Smartphone-Based Adapter for Optic Disc Imaging in Kenya
Bastawrous A; Giardini ME; Bolster NM; Peto T; Shah N; Livingstone IA; Weiss HA; Hu S; Rono HK; Kuper H; Burton M.
JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015 November; doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2015.4625
- The Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Workflow: Potential for Smartphone Imaging
Giardini ME; Bolster NM; Bastawrous A.
J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2015 Nov. pii: 1932296815617969. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1932296815617969
- Photometric compliance of tablet screens and retro-illuminated acuity charts as visual acuity measurement devices
Livingstone, IAT, Tarbert, CM, Giardini, ME, Bastawrous, A, Middleton, D & Hamilton, R 2016
PLoS One, vol 11, no. 3, 0150676., 10.1371/journal.pone.0150676 http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0150676
- The Portable Eye Examination Kit: mobile phones can screen for eye disease in low-resource settings
Giardini, ME 2015 IEEE Pulse vol 6, no. 6, pp. 15-17., 10.1109/MPUL.2015.2476563 http://pulse.embs.org/november-2015/the-portable-eye-examination-kit/
- Increasing access to eye care … there’s an app for that. Peek: smartphone technology for eye health
Bastawrous A Int. J. Epidemiol. Advance Access published May 22, 2016
- Acceptability, Usability, and Views on Deployment of Peek, a Mobile Phone mHealth Intervention for Eye Care in Kenya: Qualitative Study
Vaishali Lodhia; Sarah Karanja; Shelley Lees; Andrew Bastawrous Published on 09.05.16 in Vol 4, No 2 (2016): Apr-Jun http://mhealth.jmir.org/2016/2/e30/
- Peek Vision: Portable diagnostics for eye health
Andrew Bastawrous 24th May 2016 for the Longitude Prize blog https://longitudeprize.org/blog-post/peek-vision-portable-diagnostics-eye-health
- New mobile technologies and visual acuity
Livingstone IAT, Lok ASL, Tarbert C. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2014;2014:2189–92
- Economic evaluation of Peek (Portable Eye Examination Kit) for diabetic retinopathy screening
Parisi S, Bastawrous A, Philippin H, Sawers N, Burton MJ, Gomes M.. The European Journal of Public Health. 2016 Nov 1;26(suppl_1):ckw164-036.
- Effectiveness of a novel mobile health education intervention (Peek) on spectacle wear among children in India: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial
Morjaria P, Bastawrous A, Murthy GV, Evans J, Gilbert C. Trials. 2017 Dec;18(1):168.
- Helpful developments and technologies for school eye health programmes
Morjaria P, Bastawrous A. Community eye health. 2017;30(98):34.
- Prevalence and causes of visual impairment among school children in Mekelle, Ethiopia
Dhanesha U, Polack S, Bastawrous A, Banks LM. Cogent Medicine. 2018 Jan 1;5(1):1554832.
- Smartphone – based screening for visual impairment in Kenyan schools: a cluster randomised control trial
Hillary K. Rono, Andrew Bastawrous, David MacLeod, Emmanuel Wanjala, Prof Helen Weiss. Published in the Lancet The Lancet Global Health August 2018
- Antarctica eye study: a prospective study of the effects of overwintering on ocular parameters and visual function
Stahl MH, Kumar A, Lambert R, Stroud M, Macleod D, Bastawrous A, Peto T, Burton MJ.. BMC ophthalmology. 2018 Dec;18(1):149.
- Spectacle Compliance and Its Determinants in a School Vision Screening Pilot in Botswana
McCormick I, Morjaria P, Mactaggart I, Bunce C, Bascaran C, Jeremiah M, Foster A. Ophthalmic epidemiology. 2019 Mar 4;26(2):109-16.
- Examining the Optic Fundus and Assessing Visual Acuity and Visual Fields Using Mobile Technology.
Bolster NM, Bastawrous A. In: Revolutionizing Tropical Medicine: Point‐of‐Care Tests, New Imaging Technologies and Digital Health
Eds: Mabey D, Atkinson K. 2019 Aug 20:414-37.
- Rapid assessment of avoidable blindness for health service planning.
Mactaggart I, Wallace S, Ramke J, Burton M, Bastawrous A, Limburg H, Qureshi MB, Foster A, Kuper H.
Bull World Health Organ. 2018 Oct 1;96(10):726-728. doi: 10.2471/BLT.18.217794. Epub 2018 Sep 10. No abstract available. PMID: 30455521